Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Little Bit Country

This is the time of year that I get nostalgic. Usually, as the nights get cooler, fall sports begin, and back-to-school sales hit the stores, I get nostalgic for Friday night football games, Saturday keg parties, and a house full of college roommates and respective friends. This year, though, instead of getting reminiscent about my high school or college years, I am thinking about my life as a whole.

For the past nine months, I have been living in the town where I grew up trying to figure out what I want out of life. I will admit that I have spent the better part of my time here looking down my nose at the town that raised me. I deigned to come back here, against my strongest desires, and viewed it as more of a punishment than for what it really was: a blessing. Now that a very significant move to Chicago is in my immediate future, I have allowed myself to really think about what the past year has been like, and I am shocked to find out that it really has been enlightening and that there's a strong possibility I could miss it.

When people ask me why I'm moving to Chicago, I honestly can't give them a reason. So, I stick with the vague, "Why not?" answers. I tell people that I don't have ties to any place in particular, and Chicago seems as good a place as any. Which is entirely untrue. I always assumed that "ties" were boyfriends, houses, children, and good jobs and without those things, you are a free bird. But the closer moving day comes, the more I feel my roots. My ties are here, in the town where I grew up. My family is here, both my genetic family and the family I've made out of family friends, classmates, and colleagues. And, up until recently, I forgot how much I love it here in the summertime. Summer here equals trips to the lake, endless weddings and other celebrations, afternoons on the deck, and evenings by the fire. It's so relaxing and truly beautiful. I wonder why I didn't notice this before.

It took a trip to a local country music festival to open my eyes. If you've never been to an outdoor country music festival in Wisconsin, I suggest, neh DEMAND that you do it at least once. It is an experience like no other. I refer to such events as the "Redneck Roundup" because, seriously, it is the world fair for flannel-wearing, pick-up truck-driving, gun-lovin', right-leaning, beer-chugging small town folk. (Yes, this is a gross generalization.) This is the kind of place where there are thousands of people and you somehow leave with new friends. Country boys take take no issue with grabbing their girlfriend/wife/random girl sitting next to them and dancing to a John Michael Montgomery ballad in front of a crowd. This is the place where drinking in excess is encouraged, but you will be judged if you become "that" girl or guy. This is the kind of place that becomes a traditional destination among girlfriends who scatter and want to come home to feel their roots at least once a year. It was here that I realized, I have ties to somewhere. Those ties won't keep me here forever, but they stretch far enough to let me live a little and yet make me want to come back home a few times a year. It was here that I discovered that, despite my greatest attempts and greatest desires, it turns out I am a little bit country. Shhh....don't tell anyone.

So as a salute to the Redneck Roundup and my roots, and as a comfort to me when I feel a little homesick, here is a playlist of country songs that make me smile:

"Give Into Me" - Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester
"We Weren't Crazy" - Josh Gracin
"Love a Little Stronger" - Diamond Rio
"Crazy Girl" - The Eli Young Band
"Take a Back Road"- Rodney Atkins
"Don't You Wanna Stay"- Jason Aldean featuring Kelly Clarkson
"Knee Deep" -Zac Brown Band featuring Jimmy Buffett
"Honey Bee" - Blake Shelton
"You and Tequila" Kenny Chesney featuring Grace Potter
"Barefoot Blue Jean Night" - Jake Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment