Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tangled Up in Zachary Levi

Happy April, Everyone! Although, thanks to the weather, it feels more like January. Gross. The only upside of having such a blah Sunday was that it gave me an excuse to shamelessly watch movies for the majority of it. Since Disney's Tangled came out on video this past week, I thought I would add that into the movie line-up. Don't get me wrong. I definitely already saw it in the theater (thank goodness for having a six year old cousin to be my excuse!), but like any good Disney movie, it's easy to watch again and again.

I have to say that Tangled was a refreshing dose of Disney magic. It was very reminiscent of classic Disney from my youth. Not that I don't love the modern Disney flicks about monsters, robots. etc., but there's something about a good cartoon romance like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin to get a girl all giddy. Plus, the original music is fantastic and, in my opinion, "I See the Light" has joined the ranks of the best Disney songs alongside "A Whole New World" and "You'll Be in My Heart".

And then, of course, there's Zachary Levi. Even as a cartoon he's adorable (is that creepy?) And he can sing. Watching him and Mandy Moore sing "I See the Light" at the Oscar's was amazing. Between his handsome-ness and the gorgeous custom-made sapphire blue Monique Lhuillier gown sported by Ms. Moore, it was a feast for the eyes and the ears.

Speaking of Mandy Moore, I liked her as the main girl voice. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her even from back in the "Candy" days when she was still blond. She was the only pop princess that came out of that era that didn't turn into a total trainwreck, and I gotta respect that about her. So, even though she does that weird over exaggerated-mouth-when-she-talks thing like Drew Barrymore and tends to overact a bit, I think she found her niche in the cartoon business where you just get to hear her lovely voice and not see her weird mouth and weepy eyes.

All in all, Disney has once again pleased my soul while pricking pins into my feminist tendencies. It's a tough conundrum to be an independent, single gal who still a little bit wishes there was such a thing as a prince charming. Either way, if any guy wants to take me out in a boat to look at some floating lanterns, I'd call that a pretty good date.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I watched it on last Tuesday (I had not seen it in the theater, as I don't have an small cousins), and loved it. Very cute, and since the advertising did a good job of trying to appeal to younger boys by up-playing (?) all the action in the movie, I had no idea that it was a musical. Pleasantly surprised. And I must say, I am also in love with Mr. Levi, although it has really nothing to do with Tangled. I recently started watching the first few seasons of Chuck online, and now I'm in love. Then seeing him sing at the Oscars? Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete